Nicknamed, "the Cockpit," Williams Brice Stadium is the home of the
University of South Carolina Gamecocks. In the early 1930s, discussion
began on the possibility of building a new stadium for the football
team. Built with federal funds, a new stadium was built by the 1934
season. The Gamecocks began playing at the stadium then known as
Municipal Stadium on September 23, 1934 against Erksine. The stadium had a capacity of 17,600
when it opened.
Since its opening
in 1934, there have been several significant expansions; many coming in the
the 1970 season, over 14,000 seats were added along with the
installation of Astrotuf. These renovations were possible because of
the $2.5 million left by the estate of Mrs. Martha Williams Brice.
Because of her large donation, the stadium was named in her honor. An
additional expansion occurred before the 1972 season, when the capacity
of the stadium was increased to nearly 54,000, with the addition of the
west side upper deck. Ten years later, the
capacity grew to 72,400, when the east stands were constructed. The
latest additions to Williams Brice Stadium occurred in the mid 1990s.
Before the 1995 season, $9.9 million was spent on the west side with
the construction of luxury suites, club seats and a new press box.
One year later, the $13.5 million south end zone project was completed.
This added new club areas and the upper deck. Today Williams Brice
Stadium is a massive stadium with a seating capacity of just over
80,000. Future plans call for an upper deck to be added in the north endzone, increasing the seating capacity to 88,000. The Gamecocks have one of the best stadiums in the nations to