Voted yearly as one of the
most scenic stadiums in college football, Husky Stadium is the home of the University of Washington football program. Husky Stadium was
constructed in 1920 and opened on November 27, 1920 with a capacity
of 30,000. Over the past 90 years, Husky Stadium has
undergone many renovations and expansions. Between 1936 and 1950, 25,000 seats were
added to Husky Stadium at a cost of over $1.7 million that also included a
two story press box and roof covering part of the stands. In 1968,
an additional 3,000 seats were added. Also, the grass playing field
was removed and replaced by Astroturf leading to the Huskies becoming the first
collegiate team to ever have an Astroturf field.
In 1987 $13 million renovation project was completed at Husky Stadium including increasing the seating capacity to 72,500.
In 1990, a new eight-lane synthetic surface track was
installed and prior to the start of the 2000 season, the Astroturf
replaced by FieldTurf.
In December 2006, the University of Washington
unveiled plans for a major renovation project at
Husky Stadium. The $280 million project began after
the 2011 season and included the demolition of the
entire stadium except for the upper deck on the
north side. A new lower deck was constructed in a
horseshoe shape around the gridiron with a new upper
deck built on the south side of the stadium. New
bleachers were constructed on the east side of Husky
Stadium. Also included in this project was a new pressbox,
the addition of luxury suites, removing the track
and lowering the field four feet, and a new 31.2'
high x 108' wide HD video/scoreboard. The stadium
was closed throughout the 2012 season as the Huskies
played at CenturyLink Field (home of the Seattle
Seahawks) and returned to Husky Stadium in August
2013. The seating capacity of the stadium decreased
slightly to 71,900. Fans attending football games at Husky Stadium
receive excellent views of downtown Seattle, Mt. Rainier, the Olympic
Mountain Range and Union Bay at Lake Washington.