Known for its successful basketball program, the Blue Devils football team has began to make strides as a winning program in the ACC over the past several years. Wallace Wade Stadium has been the home of the program since 1929. Originally known as Duke Stadium, the Blue Devils played their inaugural game on October 5, 1929 against Pittsburgh.
In July 1967, the stadium was renamed Wallace Wade Stadium after legendary football coach Wallace Wade. Football was played under lights for the first time in 1984. The stadium changed little over the years and was one of the smallest stadiums in college football for decades, with a seating capacity just under 34,000. In September 2014 Duke University announced plans to upgrade the football stadium. This project commenced after the 2014 season and included removed the track that surrounded the playing field, lowering the field and construction of the Blue Devil Tower that contains luxury suites, club seats and the pressbox. In addition a new HD video/scoreboard was added and the concourses were expanded to include additional restrooms and concessions. The project was completed by the start of the 2016 season and increases the seating capacity to just over 40,000.
Although Duke is typically known for their basketball project, the football team has won 17 conference titles throughout its history. They also hosted the Rose Bowl in 1942 against Oregon State. The game was moved from the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, CA due to fears of a possible attack following the attack on Pearl Harbor.