Known for its successful basketball program, the Blue
Devils football team has began to make strides as a
winning program in the ACC over the past several
years. Wallace Wade Stadium has been the home of the
program for over eight decades.
Originally known as Duke Stadium, the Blue
Devils played their inaugural game on October 5, 1929 against
In July 1967, the stadium was renamed Wallace Wade
Stadium after legendary
football coach Wallace Wade. Football was played under lights for the
first time in 1984. The stadium changed little over
the years and was one of the smallest stadiums in
college football for decades, with a seating
capacity just under 34,000. In September 2014 Duke
University announced plans to upgrade the football
project commenced after the 2014 season and included
removed the track that surrounded the playing field,
lowering the field and construction of the Blue
Devil Tower that contains luxury suites, club seats
and the pressbox. In addition a new HD
video/scoreboard was added and the concourses were
expanded to include additional restrooms and
concessions. The project was completed by the start
of the 2016 season and increases the seating
capacity to just over 40,000.
Although Duke is typically known for their
basketball project, the football team has won 17
conversence titles throughout its history. They also
hosted the Rose Bowl in 1942 against Oregon State.
The game was moved from the Rose Bowl Stadium in
Pasadena, CA due to fears of a possible attack
following the attack on Pearl Harbor.