Known as “The Swamp”, Cajun Field is located in the heart of Louisiana. In the late 1960s the university decided to construct a new stadium to replace McNapsy Stadium, the football team’s home since 1940. The Ragin Cajuns played their first game at Cajun Field on September 25, 1971 against Santa Clara University. Unlike many other stadiums, fans attending games at Cajun Field do not have to walk up to their seats. The field is two feet below sea level and allowing fans to walk down to any seat.
Cajun Field has been known as “The Swamp” since it opened, partly because of its location and the first football field at the school was located near a pond. Because the field is two feet below sea level, four pumps are used to keep the field in good condition. Otherwise it would turn into a swamp! From 1971 until 2014 Cajun Field maintained its 31,000 seat capacity as little change took place at the stadium. In 2013 the university announced plans to upgrade the sports facilities. The first phase of the three phase project was completed before the 2014 season as 6,000 seats were added in the south endzone. In addition upgrades were made to the concourses, restrooms and other areas around Cajun Field. The $24 million renovation also included a new scoreboard. The start of the next phase of the $115 million renovation and expansion project has not been announced but includes expanding the seating capacity to over 60,000. This would include an upper deck on the east side of the stadium and a new eight story tower housing 1,200 club seats, 128 lodge seats and 37 luxury suites.