The Old Dominion Monarchs play at Foreman Field at Ballard Stadium. The history of the football program at Old Dominion University is relatively young. Football was first played at the university in 1930 when it was part of the College of William & Mary. In 1936 the team moved into the newly constructed Foreman Field. Football was played here until after the 1941 season when the program was disbanded.
For nearly seven decades Old Dominion University did not have a football program. In 2005 the Board of Visitors voted to approve the creation of a new football team to begin playing in 2009. Foreman Field, which had been the home of the university’s field hockey and lacrosse teams, was renovated for the Monarchs football team. A $24.8 million renovation project was completed before the start of the Monarchs first season in 2009. The Ainslie Football Complex was constructed in the endzone and houses 26 luxury suites, 490 club seats and locker rooms. S.B. Ballard donated $2.5 million towards the renovation project, leading the stadium to be named Foreman Field at S.B. Ballard Stadium. Old Dominion played their first game at the renovated stadium in September 5, 2009 against Chowan University.