The United States Naval Academy has called Memorial Stadium their home for over six decades. Towards the mid 1950s a new stadium for Navy was needed to replace the aging Thompson Stadium that had been the home to the Midshipmen since 1912. Navy was able to raise enough money through private contributions to have a new stadium built. Construction on the $3 million facility began in early 1959. The stadium is dedicated to those who have served as upholders of the traditions and renown of the Navy and Marine Corps.
Memorial Stadium was completed in time for Navy’s game against William and Mary on September 26, 1959. It has a seating capacity of 35,000 and has changed very little over the past 50 years. In 1992, the Admiral Thomas J. Hamilton Locker Room, was completed providing new locker rooms for both Navy and its visitors. The lower grandstand forms a horseshoe around the playing field, while upper decks are located on both sides of the gridiron. After the 2004 season, the press box was expanded, club and private suites were added, and the restrooms and concession areas were updated. Prior to the start of the 2005 season, the grass playing field was replaced with Fieldturf. The latest addition to the stadium was added prior to the 2016 season. A new $2.5 million videoboard was added to the south end zone. It is identical to its counterpart in the north end zone.