Constructed over seven decades ago, Waldo Stadium is home of the Western Michigan Broncos. In the mid 1930s the Broncos needed a stadium because the football team did not have a facility where fans could actually watch games. The team played on a field with no bleachers for fans. By 1937, $250,000 was allotted and construction began on a facility. The following Fall Waldo Stadium was completed. It originally had a seating capacity of 15,000 and was named after the first president of Western Michigan, Dwight B. Waldo.
Over three decades passed before any changes were made to Waldo Stadium. In 1973 Astroturf was installed and the seating capacity was increased to 25,000. Waldo Stadium’s seating capacity increased to 30,200 with an expansion in 1989. Lights were installed in 1993 and two years later the pressbox was expanded to include 325 club seats. The Bill Brown Alumni Football Center was constructed in 1998 to house offices and suites for the team. Nexturf replaced the Astroturf in 2001. Before the 2003 season, the east end of the stadium was enclosed with the construction of the Donald J. Seelye Athletic Center. A new video/scoreboard was installed on the west side during this expansion.